A collection of all my favourite recipes, if I try it and love it, its here in one easy place for me to find again. While the recipes may not be mine all the pictures are.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Preserving - Sterilising and Sealing Jars

When making preserves, cleanliness in the kitchen is very important to prevent contamination of the mixture by airborne bacteria or fungi.

JARS : I use a mixture of old jars I have laying about and some I have purchased specifically for preserving.

First wash jars and their lids in hot soapy water or you can put them in the dishwasher.

Then place them in a cold oven, bring temperature to 120°C and leave for approximately 30 minutes.
OR
Place them in a large saucepan, cover them with cold water, bring to boil and simmer for approximately 20 minutes (top up with boiling water from time to time if required)
I tend to use this method and use a cheap, large soup pot I picked up from Woolworths for about $15.00.

Fill jars with hot preserves while they are still hot making sure you don't touch any of the inside surfaces to avoid contamination. Usually fill to about 1/4 inch from the top.

Once jars are filled, wipe around the top of any jars with a clean (sterilised) cloth to clean up any spillages.

Put lids on jars and place into a saucepan of boiling water to seal.
Jams, Jellies, Marmalades and Fruits for approximately 15mins
Tomatoes for approximately 40mins



NOTES TAKEN FROM COUNTRY WOMEN'S ASSOCIATION PRESERVES COOKERY BOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment